Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Classroom Management

     I never really gave much thought to how exactly I would organize my classroom until I was in this class.  I had some ideas that came from my experience in practicum classrooms, but I had never really given much thought as to how my classroom organization would benefit students.  After learning about the different learning theories, I realized I need to put a lot more thought into exactly how to arrange and conduct my classroom to the benefit of my students.
     I would like to start by organizing my classroom at the beginning of the year with the desks in rows.  The students may be trying to get to know each other, because it's early on in the school year, but I don't want them to place getting to know others in the class in front of what they should be learning (not that I don't think them having friends isn't important-- that's not what I'm saying.  I'm simply saying I think the pressure of making new friends may be too large of a distraction for them to handle at the beginning of the year).  Once the students learn more about how the classroom operates and what the expectations are, they may begin to work in partners, and then move into groups later on in the year.  This way they can learn how to handle distractions and how to conduct themselves with others at a slower pace.  I would like to get to know my students well at the beginning of the year (as well as possible within the first few weeks, anyway) so I can know who to partner them up with in the future. At times it may help for the most knowledgeable peer to be partnered up with someone who has a smaller zone of proximal development because the most knowledgeable peer can help their partner better understand the content.  I would also like to incorporate a rug into the organization of my classroom-- I have seen many classrooms where this has worked well for the age I am planning on teaching.  During lessons that didn't need a white board or could be done with a personal whiteboard the students would sit on the rug.  They has assigned seats and at the beginning of the year went over rules dealing with how to handle personal space when sitting on the rug.  When I observed I noticed that the students were much more attentive to the teacher when they were on the rug because they had less distractions and were very close to the teacher, so they knew she would be watching them.  
     I would like to attempt to keep my students on task by directing the discussions in a manner that is similar to what we experience in our classroom.  I definitely see the benefits of starting with a concrete example of a topic and then moving to the abstract example or idea, then back to the concrete and so forth.  I found this extremely helpful when learning about the learning theories.  It is extremely useful to start with a concept that the students can relate to, then push their brains to the abstract to learn new things but still be connecting them to the previous ideas they had so they can better understand them.  I would like to attempt to only ask questions that make them think and give an answer that isn't yes or no, and possibly rephrase my questions when they don't seem to be comprehending what I am asking.  I will be using social learning theory to ask questions that promote active mental engagement, a part of constructivist learning theory.  I also want to learn how to manage my time well so I can make time for the instances when my students aren't quite understanding something in the time frame I want and I have to make them understand it before we can move on.  This ensures that my students comprehend the knowledge I want them to, even though I have to be flexible and change my schedule a little.  
     I would like to also keep my classroom on task by walking around during the entire class, not just group discussion time. This way I will be able to see if anyone is off track or confused.  During partner or group work time, I will listen in on conversations all over the room, not just the table I am by.  I know many times as a student I would get off task when the teacher wasn't near me and I would appear to be on task as soon as they came by.  I want to be able to make sure as much as possible that my students are on task because otherwise they may miss a crucial step and fall behind in the lesson.  I figure one way to make sure they stay on task more is to do my job as a teacher and make the lessons as interesting as possible so they want to do them (though I know this won't always be the case).  I want the kids to be motivated to learn the information I am presenting them with.  I also want to attempt to keep them on task if I have to leave for a few minutes, and to do this I can give them something to do during the time I will be gone, whether it be come up with an answer to a few questions or do an activity.  This way they can remain actively mentally engaged and I won't have to try to redirect their attention to school when they have been having conversations about other things.  Lastly, I would like to keep them on task by not giving them materials until it is time to.  This way, they are not distracted by the materials and will have had an easier time paying attention to the instructions.  I also like the idea of having the materials at the front and back of the classroom so there is less commotion when getting them, and the process can go quicker.
     I believe that how teachers present themselves is a very important part of classroom management.  Teachers are in a position to be great role models-- they see kids every day, sometimes all day or for part of the day.  Either way, they are a big enough part of a students life to have a large impact on it.  This is why teachers must be models for what they want their students to be.  If a teacher models respect towards the students, there is a better chance that the students will respect the teacher.  This means a teacher must be willing to treat their students as peers, even though sometimes an authoritative figure is necessary to keep the classroom under control.  Being respectful towards the students can include multiple things-- letting them finish their questions, being open to their opinions and criticism, and waiting for them to stop talking before you begin the lesson.  This lets the students know that you are interested in what they have to say, just like they should be interested in what you are saying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment